We've been exploring the new roles of leadership in regions. In a world of networks, it's clear that leadership is far more distributed than it has been in the past. That is, responsibilities are more widely shared.
At the same time, the roles shift, depending on the situation. Here are some of the new regional leadership roles that we see emerging:
- Champion: A leader who sees an innovation and commits to realizing its potential.
- Captain: A leader who guides a team through a complex, multi-stage development process.
- Coach: A leader who demonstrates how new civic skills -- and the practice of "strategic doing" -- can accelerate collaboration and innovation.
- Convenor: A leader who is able to engage interested parties in an extended conversation to identify new ideas and convert them into action.
- Connector: A leader who consistently sees new connections in the civic space and who takes steps to develop stronger networks by "closing triangles".